Our History




The old building that still stands on the corner of Main and Tecumseh dates back to 1881. It was first called the "Excelsior Mill". At some point in the late 1880's, the mill was converted from the stoneground process to a roller mill. Sometime before 1918, the old mill was called Ottawa Milling Company and was controlled by a flour mill in Kansas City.

Old Excelsior Mill Building
1922
Old Excelsior Mill Building
First Harvest 1950
Old Excelsior Mill Building
Flood of 1951

In September 1919, the old mill was purchased by members of the Ross family. The mill in Ottawa was then called the Ross Milling Company. Production of flour was raised to 1200 one hundred pound sacks per day and shortly thereafter a new 120,000 bushel concrete grain elevator was built. The Ross Milling Company was operated for thirty-one years, but after several floods in the 1940's it was dismantled and sold in 1950 to the Ottawa Cooperative Association.

1994
1994
2006
2006

Departments at the co-op include grain handling and storage, feed mixing, seed cleaning, delivery and bagged sales, petroleum products and delivery, chemical and fertilizer sales and application, car care facilities, and office management.

Burlington
Burlington
Waverly
Waverly
Ottawa - Elevator D
Ottawa - Elevator "D"
Scranton
Scranton

In 2001 the Ottawa Cooperative Association purchased several locations from the Farmers Cooperative Association formerly located in Lawrence, KS. This expansion tripled the capacity of the Ottawa Cooperative Association, yielding a total of 14 locations.

From the spring of 2006 to August 2007 the Ottawa Coop added over 800,000 bushels of additional grain storage. The addition was spread across 4 locations - Burlington, Waverly, Ottawa and Scranton. This addition brought Ottawa Coop's capacity to 8,044,000 bushels as of August 31, 2007.

 

 

Ottawa - Elevator D
Ottawa - Elevator "D"
Ottawa - Elevator D
Ottawa - Elevator "D"
Midland Coop
Midland


 History of Ottawa Coop 2011

 Burlington

History of Ottawa Coop 2014

Overbrook

History of Ottawa Coop 2015

South Lawrence

 History of Ottawa Coop 2017

 

Elevator D

 


Prior to the 2008 Harvest the Ottawa Coop added a high speed leg and dump to the Elevator "D" Complex in Ottawa, KS and then added a second bin prior to the 2009 harvest. The Midland facility north of Lawrence was also renovated to replace a couple bins which had sustained damage in previous years. This brought the Ottawa Coop to a current storage capacity of 8,386,000 bushels for the 2009 harvest.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In 2011 the South Lawrence facility was purchased and a new bin was built at Burlington, bringing the Ottawa Coop’s new capacity to 8,388,000 bushels.

2012 brought the worst drought we had seen in over 50 years.  A year later in 2013 the Ottawa Coop renovated the Ottawa Fertilizer building and reached highest earnings in history!

 

 

 

 Before Adrian Derousseau retired from the Ottawa Coop in 2014 he began the construction of new bins being built in Overbrook, Scranton, and Ottawa which added 1 million bushel in storage and bringing the new grain capacity to 9,446,000 bushels.  Clark Wenger moved into position as the General Manager in the fall of 2014.  The Ottawa Coop sold their interest in East Kansas Chemical.

 

 

 

In 2015 a new bin was built at the South Lawrence facility.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In 2017 the Ottawa Coop invested in AgMark LLC.  The Coop still owns and controls all locations and the same familiar faces remain.  AgMark LLC handles all grain marketing, logistics and accounting services.  This is an exciting new investment for the Ottawa Coop and will bring about many great new opportunities for the Coop and its customers.